Okay, for my last blog post in the protect your back series, I wanted to focus on preventative care, and the importance changing habits to prevent pain and future problems!
is a big word we hear a lot but never think much about. How do you stand? sit? walk? What is your posture like? Staying in the same position for long periods of time (such as sitting all day at work) can put added strain and stress on your spine and cause big problems down the line!
(click image for source)
Some common postures that are problematic to new mothers include
– Breastfeeding (hunched over, looking down)
– Cradling the baby (standing, forward head, rounded shoulders)
– Holding the baby (swayed back, hip bones forward, forward head)
Some Tips To Try
– Use a nursing pillow, this personally never worked for me, but it does for some people!
– Recline back while feeding to relax your shoulders.
– Prop your elbow up on a pillow or armrest for support while holding the baby.
– Be aware of your posture, set visual cues around the house, for example everytime you walk by a mirror you pull your shoulders back.
– While standing with the baby keep moving, static standing is worse than walking around.
– Get in your stretches daily!
How can this be fixed?!
Seek our a professional to assist with correcting your posture and teaching you ways to work on this at home. Bad posture is a bad habit and can take a lot of work, concentration, and time to correct.
I highly recommend Chiropractic care, check out these great resources from Santa Barbara Family Chiropractic. If you are in the Santa Barbara area Dr. Nick is excellent and I highly recommend him! He helped me greatly throughout my pregnancy and is consistently working to expand his knowledge to help others. He offers wellness chiropractic, pain relief, chiropractic for kids, nutritional counselling, and prenatal chiropractic. Contact them today to set up a consultation!
The following was used with permission from SBFC!
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR SPINE BY REPLACING BAD HABITS WITH GOOD!
Replacing bad habits is an important step in holding your healthier chiropractic adjustment patterns longer = better results faster.
Action Step #1: Have a co-worker/friend/family member take 2-4 pics of you at your work/hobby station in any position you are in for more than 2 hours /day (one picture from side and one from behind – per position)
Action Step #2: Email pictures to email@example.com so that Dr. Nick will make notes and review with you!
Action Step #3: Watch the following videos.
HOW TO SIT/DRIVE:
HOW TO SLEEP
HOW TO LIFT SAFELY
Action Step #4: Practice! Begin replacing unsafe movement/postures with good movement/postures. Remember this takes time and awareness is the first step!
Health = Freedom
Nicholas Araza DC CCWP CFL1; Santa Barbara Family Chiropractic; 805-682-4620 / www.santabarbarafamilychiropractic.com
In fitness & good health,